Monday, June 27, 2011

MILE Guide Self-Assessment

The MILE Guide is a measurement tool that was created to help schools and school districts determine just prepared they are to educate 21st century learners.  The concept of a 21st century learner is very important at the moment because public education seems to be in some sort of transitional period where it is moving its focus from 20th century criteria to 21st century criteria.  These new 21st century learns are very different then their previous counter parts and we must teach them in new and progressive ways.  There need to be a much larger focus on creativity, collaboration, and critical thinking. 

I took the self-assessment survey on behalf of the high school I work at and here are my results.

I feel that my results are less than accurate for two major reasons.  1) I answered very conservatively and 2) I based most of my information off of the teachers that are closest in proximity to me in the building....that would be all math teachers.  As I look back on my results I realize I didn't take my Science, English, Art, Music, Foreign Language, Social Studies, or Special Education colleges into consideration and I think their input would really change the results.  The problem is that I don't know what those classrooms look like on a day-to-day basis so I forgot about them.  I guess I need to go do some investigating during my prep next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment