Wednesday, July 20, 2011

WPP: Post B

This post will be a continuation of the post I created yesterday.

The "Wicked" problem that I came across in my classroom was so challenging that I needed some sort of frame work to help me tackle it properly.  The TPACK frame work is a very helpful tool that emphasizes the inclusion of technology into lessons and even whole courses.  The best part of the TPACK model is that it is a conglomeration of content knowledge (CK), Pedagogical Knowledge (PK), and Technology Knowledge (TK).  The thought behind the whole framework is that a 21st century lesson is at its very best when it strikes perfect balance between all three of those knowledge areas.

I will be breaking down and dissecting my lesson to highlight how the three different elements interact within the lesson.

PC (pedagogy and content):  One of the big pedagogical things that I have learned about lately is called the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and from that I have come to really appreciate the power of differentiated instruction.  If you can design a lesson that works for you fringe-type students then it will almost certainly help your my typical students.  This was a major goal for my number hierarchy lesson.  I felt like I needed to differentiate the learning process because the content was very abstract and discouraging for a lot of students.  I tried to attack the problem at a couple of different levels.  I think the diagram is a good middle of the road technique that will help some but not all.  I think the pictures are a good lower level technique that could also be expanded to an upper level of technique if students try to capture some of the more complex number systems or get creative.  I also think the quiz/program would be a good tool. I think creating it is a very upper level project but using it would definitely help my lower level students.  They could take the quiz with a certain number in mind and then the quiz would determine exactly what kind of number it is.

TP (technology and pedagogy): The diagram will be presented using animations in some sort of presentation software and I don't think the technology will offer much pedagogical support because there won't be any interactivity or wow factor.  The picture taking portion of the lesson will inspire some students and will provide them with an opportunity to express themselves.  I think this plan of attack will really draw a lot of kids in because it creates a connection (if only a weak one) between something they like/love (taking pictures) and something they are learning about (number systems).  This will assist in the teaching process and eliminate the need for other pedagogical strategies.  The quiz will attract and help two different students groups at two different times.  In the beginning, those students that already have a good solid understanding of the hierarchy of numbers will get the project off the ground and actually build the quiz.  This can be an activity that is carried out without a teacher present so that the teacher can then work with the other students who are struggling.  Then, those students who were struggling will be able to test and use the quiz to see if it works.  This will help further their understanding and give all of the students a chance to interact and provide feedback for one another.

TC (technology and content):  The Technology is a way to really differentiate the presentation of the content.  I don't believe I would be able to offer as many different representations without having the use of technology.  items like digital cameras, computers, and the Internet allow the students to see things in ways that a text book and a whiteboard cannot provide.  Also, the technology will allow everything to happen much faster which will help hold students attention and stop the lesson from dragging out and becoming a chore.

No comments:

Post a Comment